FX Laser – Active FX, Deep FX & Total FX
Changes Plastic Surgery & Spa offers the Fractional CO2 FX laser resurfacing treatment (by Lumenis Aesthetics). The FX Laser uses a CO2 fractional laser technology to treat pigmentation, fine lines, aged, sun-damaged or scarred skin, and deep wrinkles. The overall is effect is that you turn back the clock on your skin by getting a more youthful, healthy looking face.
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles, scars and folds
- Improve pigmentation, skin tone and texture
- Stimulate new skin and collagen formation
Carbon dioxide (CO2) laser technology is the gold standard of skin resurfacing. This new generation of CO2 lasers are fractionated – meaning the resurfacing is targeted at microscopic areas of skin. This method leaves healthy skin surrounding each area of resurfacing. These small untouched areas promote rapid healing of the treated areas with new collagen production and improvement in wrinkles, surface irregularities, blemishes, and pigment abnormalities.
There are three levels of treatment, the Active FX, Deep FX, and the combination treatment Total FX. A consultation will determine which level of treatment is appropriate for you.
The Active FX procedure utilizes fractional CO2 to treat the upper layers of the skin. It causes immediate collagen contraction to reduce fine lines, uneven pigmentation, solar lentigines (sun spots) and actinic keratoses. The result is an overall improvement in skin texture and tone. Allow 5-7 days for healing.
The Deep FX procedure is more aggressive than the Active FX and is targeted at the deeper layers of skin. This stimulates a cascade of healing responses that leads to tissue regeneration and new collagen formation throughout the entire treatment area. The Deep FX is ideal for aged, sun damaged skin, deep wrinkles and scarred skin. Some degree of tightening is also achieved as a result of collagen stimulation.
The Deep FX fractional laser procedure is commonly used on the face, around the lips and eyelids, crows feet, the neck, upper chest, hands and arms. It is best to allow 7-10 days for healing. The FX procedures are safe for most people. However, it should not be used if you have taken Accutane in the past 12 months or have a history of keloid formation.
The Total FX combines Active FX and Deep FX into one treatment. Get the combined effects of both the Active FX and Deep FX for the most complete non-surgical skin rejuvenating treatment available.
FX Laser Recovery
Think about your recovery process in stages. First, you’ll engage in post-care immediately after your treatment:
- Use cold packs on your treated skin immediately after treatment (you may have a “hot” feeling for the first few hours which the cold packs help.
- After the first hour, you may have a sunburned feeling. Deeper treatments may have more discomfort.
- Use topical treatments and medications as directed by your laser provider.
- Do not pick at your skin or scrub it aggressively.
- You can shower or bathe that night or the next day and wash your hair, but avoid very hot water.
- Do not wash your face until night time (if early morning procedure) or the next morning (day 1). Avoid exfoliation.
- Avoid sun exposure until all pinkness is gone and for at least four weeks after treatment, and wear a zinc oxide sunblock after the fifth day, every time you’re outside, for at least 4 to 6 weeks.
- Vinegar soaks may help with itching and the shedding/sloughing process. Benedryl can also be taken to help with the itching sensation.
- Redness and swelling is expected to be moderate to severe.
On Day One, the first full day after your treatment, your appearance will change somewhat and you may notice a feeling of tightness:
- Begin cleansing after 24 hours, wiping away skin debris with a recommended facial cleanser two to three times per day.
- Use ointment recommended by your laser provider after you cleanse, and throughout the day.
- Do not use a wash cloth yet.
- You may continue to shower or bathe and wash hair, but avoid very hot water.
- Continue to ice.
- Continue prescribed medication.
On Day Two, the next full day after your treatment, you will still feel uncomfortable, and you may experience areas of skin sloughing:
- Continue icing, cleansing, and reapplying your post-treatment product.
- If dry, crumbly, brown debris comes from your skin when you cleanse, wash up to three to four times per day and use vinegar soaks.
- Do not exfoliate, even with a wash cloth.
- Continue prescribed medication.
On Days Three, Four, and Five, you’ve already got your routine down cold:
- Continue cleansing, and re-apply the recommended post treatment product.
- Remove remaining debris with cleanser.
- Begin other treatments as directed.
- Continue prescribed medications.
Helpful hints at every stage of FX Laser Recovery:
- Don’t pick at your skin!
- Sleep on your back, with your head elevated by a few pillows, to reduce swelling.
- An over the counter anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen in up to 800 mg three times per day or naproxen in up to 500 mg two times per day may help decrease discomfort and swelling.
- If your skin itches, an over the counter anti-histamine such as Benadryl 25 mg up to four times a day may relieve it, as might vinegar soaks.
- Don’t panic when your skin heals unevenly, with lighter and darker areas, or the mouth and eyes taking longer.
- A break out of acne or milia, small white bumps, may occur two or three weeks after treatment, but will not last and are treated easily.