Breast Augmentation in San Diego
Breast augmentation enlarges the size of the breasts and gives women the body contours that are traditionally identified as “feminine.” Natural breast augmentation procedures improve appearance and enhance self-confidence. Breast augmentation involves the surgical placement of silicone or saline filled implants and is statistically the most popular way to enlarge the breasts. The advent of autologous fat grafting is now a viable option to breast augmentation. Changes Plastic Surgery & Spa offers both breast implants and fat transfer for breast enlargement.
Breast implants are made of a silicone elastomer (rubber) shell filled with either a silicone gel (silicone implant) or a saline solution (salt water). In November 2006, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) approved the release of silicone implants for use in breast augmentation. The safety of these devices has now been established in well documented studies.
Breast Implants – Your Options
Some breast implants are round, and some are anatomical (tear-drop shaped). The look and contour you prefer will determine the shape of your implant. Anatomical implants will create a gentle slope, similar to the shape of a natural breast. These implants tend to provide lower breast fullness. Round implants are more likely to give you a round curve in the upper part of your breasts. During your consultation, Dr. Lee will help you in understanding which shape will best suit your desired outcome.
Breast Implant Size
Choosing the right breast implant size is rarely simple. Although it may be tempting to choose the largest breast implants available, selecting large breast implants or extra large breast implants may not be the best choice for you. Instead, finding breast implants to achieve natural breast augmentation is optimal.
Ultimately, there are several physical factors that women need to consider when choosing implants to complement their everyday appearance. These factors include:
- Body type
- Width of the breasts
- Shape and size of the chest wall
The larger the breast implants, the more strain on a woman’s body. For instance, if a small, slender woman selects large breast implants or extra large breast implants, she may start to experience back or shoulder pain or fatigue. If these problems persist, she may even require breast reduction surgery in the future.
It is crucial for a woman to consider her day-to-day activities before undergoing a breast augmentation procedure. For example, breast implants tend to add weight that may affect a woman’s ability to run, lift weights or work. Therefore, athletes or women who work physically demanding jobs should review their breast augmentation surgery options closely.
Many women tend to think of their breasts in terms of bra cup size. For instance, if you’re a 34 A now, you may know you would like to be about a 34 C after your augmentation. At the same time, you have concerns about breast shape and proportions that bra cup size alone can’t describe. You may prefer a certain amount of cleavage, or more of an “hourglass” figure. Your anatomy is often the indicator of which type and size of implant is appropriate for you, and your consultation will include a discussion of what you want and what is recommended.
Changes Plastic Surgery & Spa is one of the leading providers of breast implants in San Diego. We strive to serve as the best breast augmentation San Diego treatment center, and to accomplish our goal, work diligently with patients. By doing so, we help patients determine the optimal breast implant size so that they can reap the benefits of natural breast augmentation.
Dr. Gilbert Lee will take measurements of your breasts during your consultation. Dimensions like breast width, height, and projection describe breast shape. These measurements will help guide Dr. Lee in suggesting the appropriate size range for your implants and help you to make your final choice of size.
3D Imaging Tool
Changes Plastic Surgery & Spa is one of a few facilities in San Diego to offer 3D Computer Imaging. This state-of-the-art tool will help you visualize your own body with different size and shape implants in order for you to choose your desired result. Read more about 3D Imaging
Breast Augmentation Procedure Description
The breast implant is placed either under your breast tissue (subglandular position) or under your pectoralis muscle (submuscular position), which is the major muscle that lies beneath the breast. The incision is made as inconspicuous as possible, either in the breast fold or around the nipple (periareolar). Dr. Lee prefers the implant insertion through a small incision in the mammary fold. (Read more about incision sites.) Dr. Lee places the implant into the breast using a Keller Funnel to minimize any risk of infection, stress on the implant shell and to reduce the incision length.
Breast augmentation is generally done on an outpatient basis. The surgery itself usually takes between one and two hours.
Recovery from Breast Augmentation Surgery
You’ll probably feel somewhat tired and sore for several days following the operation, and your breasts may remain swollen and sensitive to physical contact for as long as a month. You may also experience a feeling of tightness in the breast area as your skin adjusts to your new breast size. These effects are temporary and will resolve once your breast tissue and muscle adjusts.
Postoperative care is quite simple, usually involving use of a postoperative bra or a sports bra for extra support and positioning while you heal. You will most likely be able to return to work within a few days, although you should avoid any strenuous activities that could raise your pulse and blood pressure for a week or two.
Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
For some women who want larger breasts but for health concerns seek an alternative to breast implants, transferring their own fat to the breast for augmentation is now an option. Fat grafting, also called fat transfer, uses liposuction to harvest fat from your own body for re-injection into the breasts. Fat grafting to the breasts has many advantages.
Benefits of Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
- Eliminates the downside that comes with implants (such as leaking or hardening or capsular contracture)
- No implant “maintenance” or replacement, ever
- Liposuction comes with its own advantages, such as its body sculpting effects
There is really no downside to breast augmentation using fat. There are limitations however:
- Small volume increases (especially in the short term; longer term breast volume increases can be anticipated)
- Unlike with breast implants, which are more predictable, fat transfer can be variable in that the volume of graft that “takes” may change from person to person depending on tissue vascularity
- More than one procedure may be needed to achieve more volume
- Fat grafting may not work for those who are very slim where sufficient fat for grafting is simply not available.
Am I a Candidate for Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
Ideal candidates for the fat transfer breast augmentation procedure share some traits:
- They want a modest increase to their breast volume—less than a cup size
- They have enough body fat for harvesting the fat grafts
- Breast reconstruction or other breast procedures have left asymmetries that can be injected with fat for correction.
Find out if you’re a candidate by coming in for a consultation with Dr. Lee. Dr. Lee is a recognized expert in fat grafting and he can assist you in understanding how the procedure might work for you. For information about breast implants in San Diego or to find out more about fat transfer breast augmentation and other procedures that interest you, contact Changes.
Read more about fat grafting to the breast in our blog.
Comparing Breast Augmentation Options
One of the best things about breast augmentation today is the multiple options that are effective, safe, and aesthetically pleasing. Saline or silicone implants are the most common way to achieve breast augmentation. They allow the surgeon to achieve the desired shape and size, creating a beautiful result with a short recovery time.
Fat transfer breast augmentation is an excellent alternative that is ideal for select patients. Patients with areas of excess body fat who desire a small increase in breast size, and who place a premium on very natural results, fat transfer breast augmentation might be the perfect choice. For those patients wanting a larger volume breast size, implants may still be the better option. To make the right choice for your body, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Lee, who is skilled in both techniques.
For More Information on Breast Augmentation San Diego Surgery and Implants, Read These Blogs
Deciding to have breast augmentation surgery in San Diego at Changes Plastic Surgery is the first step. The second step is deciding what breast size and shape you would like. A consultation with Dr. Lee will help you decide what’s right for your body to achieve your desired result. Read this blog to learn more about how different types of breast implants can affect your shape and silhouette to get a better idea of what may be right for you.
Do you know about the four different locations you can have a breast implant incision? There is the transaxillary incision, periareolar incision, inframammary incision and transumbilical incision. Don’t know what this means? Don’t know about the pros and cons of each incision. Don’t worry at all! Read this great blog post to learn all you need to know about these different type of breast implant incisions. And remember, you will always receive all the information you need during your initial consultation.
Are you wondering how to best keep your breasts perky? Breast implants! Check out our blog to see alternative methods to keep your breasts from sagging. However, breasts are going to sag naturally no matter what. Learn more about breast augmentation services in San Diego today.
Have you heard of “gummy bear” breast implants? Check out our blog to learn some interesting facts about them and how they differ from standard breast implants.
Have you ever wondered if it’s possible to change the direction of your nipples? San Diego breast augmentation services from Changes Plastic Surgery & Spa can do just that! Give us a call today to learn more.
There are all kinds of reasons you may want to get breast implants. Read about some of the reasons patients have come to Changes Plastic Surgery & Spa for breast augmentation services.
Have you ever wondered if it’s possible to get a natural boob job? Learn how this can be done by way of breast augmentation with fat grafting.
Dr. Lee on Breast Augmentation
Breast Augmentation Described
Breast Augmentation FAQs
Click on the collapsible panel to open and close it.
- Breast augmentation is the surgical implantation of silicone or saline implants beneath the muscles of the chest. The breast augmentation procedure enlarges the size of breasts, but also perfects their shape and gives patients more feminine body contours, improving self-confidence and enhancing appearance. A modest breast augmentation can also be achieved with fat grafting, which involves harvesting fat from another part of your body and then reinjecting into the breasts for added volume.
- Before a breast augmentation, ask your surgeon about which shape and size of breast implant is likely to give you the results you’re after. Are you hoping for an hourglass figure? More cleavage? A certain cup size? What is the overall appearance you are wanting to achieve? All of these goals will impact the right choices for you. Vectra 3D computer imaging is provided at your breast augmentation consultation to provide you with a virtual simulation of how your body will look with different size and shaped implants.
- Almost any person who is in good health generally and wants to improve their appearance and confidence is a candidate for breast augmentation in San Diego. The most important first step in determining whether you’re a good candidate is a frank discussion with your Changes surgeon, who will honestly discuss all of the benefits and risks with you based on your health and medical history.
- San Diego Breast augmentation at Changes is typically done on an outpatient basis. The surgery itself usually takes one to two hours.
- For several days after your breast augmentation surgery, you’ll probably feel somewhat sore and tired. You will need to wear a surgical or sports bra while you heal. You can probably go back to work within a few days, although you should avoid strenuous exercise for a few weeks, and your breasts may stay sensitive to physical contact and swollen for up to a month. As your skin adjusts to the change, you may also experience a feeling of tightness in the area of your breasts. However, your muscles and breast tissue will adjust.
- Breast augmentation with saline implants starts at $9434 in San Diego, while the cost of breast augmentation with silicone implants in San Diego begins at $10,000
- Yes. Financing is available for breast augmentation, through Care Credit, or through Alpheon Credit, a financing option exclusively offered to patients of board-certified plastic surgeons, dermatologists, and ophthalmologists.